나노표면에서 의료진단사업으로

일자
2016.10.27(목) 15:30
연사
박준원 대표이사
소속
㈜ 엔에스비포스텍
<발표 초록>

I proposed self-assembly of dendrons, a kind of dendrimers, on solid surface and use of coated substrates for biochips to get research funding in 2000. The key idea is generating controlled lateral spacing between functional groups on surface so that immobilized biomolecules are free from lateral steric hindrance. Two years later, my group demonstrated that such surface was right enough to make DNA microarrays of high performance; 1) fast kinetics for the hybridization, 2) clear discrimination of single base mismatched DNA, 3) high thermal stability. Being encouraged by POSTECH, I founded NB POSTECH Inc. in 2008, and commercialized the coated products.
Additionally, I found that the surface coating unleashed surprising capability of atomic force microscopy for medical diagnostics. The combined approach enables us to count copy number of various biomarkers, DNA, mRNA, microRNA, and protein, very sensitively. For example, we can count a DNA biomarker down to single copy without modification or amplification. Such extremely sensitive detection methodology is expected to open a new avenue for science and medical diagnostics.
In addition to my journey during the last 16 years, I will address characteristics of research in academia and the best way to collaborate with companies for the commercialization.